June 15, 2017
May 25, 2017 Indiana Law Club
Category: Indiana Law Review | Author: | Share:
Price Waicukauski Joven & Catlin’s May 25, 2017 Indiana Law Club Meeting covered a variety of topics.
Included this week is a discussion from Jeff Bennison of abovethelaw.com about why lawyers need to concern themselves with caring and understanding the latest technology.
We also discuss this month’s Advocacy Tip of the Month: Being Wary of Sensitive Microphones in the Courtroom. Recently, a lawyer who uttered a profanity following an unfavorable ruling was heard over a microphone and was disciplined with a suspension.
The following are all cases discussed during the May 25, 2017 Indiana Law Club:
- Stale OWI Convictions Are Admissible As To Punitive Damages; Sims v. Pappas, 2017 WL 1957057 (Ind. 5/11/17) (Rucker)
- A Plaintiff’s Immigration Status Is Generally Inadmissible In A Claim For Decreased Earning Capacity; Escamilla v. Shiel Sexton Co., 2017 Ind. LEXIS 341 (Ind. 5/4/17) (Rush)
- Court Clarifies When Filings Can Be Restricted From Public Access; Angelopoulos v. Angelopoulos, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 170 (Ind. Ct. App. 4/19/17) (Mathias)
- Medical Expert’s Personal Practices Are Admissible For Impeachment Purposes; Oaks v. Chamberlain, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 201 (Ind. Ct. App. 5/11/17) (Najam)
- A Med Mal Plaintiff May Pursue A Negligence Theory In Court Different From The One He Argued To The Panel; McKeen v. Turner, 71 N.E.3d 833 (Ind. 4/7/17) (Per Curiam)
- School May Be Liable For Bullying On School Property; Severance v. New Castle Community School Corp., 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 164 (Ind. Ct. App. 4/13/17) (Baker)
- It Is Hard To Find A Child Contributorily Negligent; Lee v. Bartholomew Consolidated School Corp., 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 157 (Ind. Ct. App. 4/11/17) (Riley)
- The Indiana Public Lawsuit Statute Does Not Apply When The Plaintiff Is Protecting His Private Interests; Tipton County Board of Commissioners v. Prather, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 158 (Ind. Ct. App. 4/12/17) (Barnes)
- Court Changes Standard Of Review Regarding Video Evidence; Love v. State of Indiana, 2017 Ind. LEXIS 357 (Ind. 5/11/17) (David)
- Question Of Duty Depends On The Relationship, Not The Particular Facts Of The Case; Sandberg Trucking, Inc. v. Johnson, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 200 (Ind. Ct. App. 5/11/17) (Bradford)
- A Co-Habitant Is Not A “Family Member,” Even If They Form A “Family”; Estate of Henry v. Woods, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 209 (Ind. Ct. App. 5/19/17) (Bailey)
- Supreme Court Changes Rules On Patent Litigation Venue; TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC, 2017 U.S. LEXIS 3213 (U.S. 5/22/17) (Thomas)
- Attorney’s Fee Requests Should Not Be Submitted To A Jury; Song v. Iatarola, 2017 Ind. App. LEXIS 197 (Ind. Ct. App. 5/10/17) (Baker)
- The Perils Of Innovative Practice Models; Matter of Wall, 73 N.E.3d 170 (Ind. 5/3/17)
Check back in for more updates on our latest Indiana Law Club or contact us to see how to get involved.