LIKE A BAD NEIGHBOR ~ STATE FARM PAYS $14.5 MILLION FOR DEFAMATION
Indianapolis, Indiana – A six-week trial in Hamilton County Court ended on June 29, 2011, with the award of a $14.5 million jury verdict for Joseph Radcliff and his restoration company, CPM Construction of Indiana, against State Farm Insurance.
State Farm had filed suit for insurance fraud and RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) claims against Radcliff and CPM. The case arose out of work done by Radcliff and CPM following the April 2006 hailstorm. Radcliff and CPM’s allegations were that after State Farm received negative publicity in the Indianapolis media for denying hail damage claims, State Farm made unfounded claims of fraud against Radcliff and instigated the filing of felony charges against him. Those charges were dismissed by the Marion County Prosecutor, but the negative publicity resulted in Radcliff’s personal reputation and business being destroyed.
Not only did the jury find that State Farm’s claims against Radcliff were baseless, but they also found that the Radcliff’s allegations of being defamed by State Farm were true. The jury ordered State Farm to pay Radcliff $14.5 million.Radcliff was represented by Will Riley, lead trial counsel of the law firm Price Waicukauski & Riley, LLC along with attorneys Joe Williams, James Piatt, and Jamie Kendall of the same firm and Mark McKinzie, Partner in the law firm Riley Bennett & Egloff LLP.
Riley stated, “It was a tribute to the American jury system that one man can take on the largest insurance company in the nation and win.” McKinzie agreed, stating “This sends a strong signal to Bloomington, Illinois that Hoosiers will not put up with this sort of conduct.” Radcliff commented “I am grateful to those who believed in me and helped me get the true facts before the jury and to the jury for giving me, and my failed company, justice.”
Price Waicukauski & Riley, LLC is a law firm known for its representation of clients in complex litigation. Riley Bennett & Egloff, LLP is a law firm known for advising and representing businesses and their owners in various litigation matters.
LOCAL PRESS COVERAGE
- Former Contractor Victorious After State Farm Legal Defeat ~ 6 News - The Indy Channel: News Story & Video
- Contractor Awarded $14.5M In Defamation Suit Against State Farm - Insurer Had Calimed Contractor Damaged Homes ~ 6 News - The Indy Channel: News Story
- Judge: State Farm owes Fishers contractor $14.5M - Jury clears CPM Construction - WishTV 8: News Story & Video
- Contractor wins $14.5M judgment against State Farm - IBJ: News Story
- Hail creates firestorm for State Farm - The Indiana Laywer: Article
- 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm Insurance ~ Price Waicukauski & Riley, LLC represented CPM Construction of Indiana in a six-week trial against State Farm Insurance, which resulted in a $14.5 million verdict - PRWeb: Article
- Jury Orders State Farm to Pay Contractor $14.5M for Defamation - Property Casualty 360o: Article
- 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm Insurance - redOrbit: Article
- 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm Insurance - Class Action Times: Article
- State Farm Insurance | 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm - Insurance Professional: Article
- 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm - The Restoration Forum: Post
- 14.5 Million Dollar Jury Verdict Awarded Against State Farm - Dallas News ~ The Dallas Morning News: Article
- Contractor wins $14.5M judgment against State Farm - RemodelCrazy Forum: Post
- Contractor wins $14.5M judgment against State Farm - Roofers Coffee Shop Forum: Post
|WATCH OUR FIRM'S VIDEOS AT YouTube|
|LIKE US ON FACEBOOK|
|JOIN US ON LINKEDIN|